The immune system is thought to benefit from quality exercise and activity, a healthy diet, mental and psychological well-being, and good lifestyle choices. If you are wondering how to improve immune system, you need to get the right balance between those aspects. In this health article, we give you some useful ideas and tips to make you become as healthy as possible and help you feel as good as possible.
What Does the Immune System Do?
Your immune system acts as a defense to fight against disease-causing microorganisms. However, there are times that it fails and you start to get sick. How do you combat the germs that invaded your body? The key is to make sure that your immune system is back up and well. Now, how do you boost your immune system? Does improving your diet help? Do you need more vitamins and other herbal supplements? Do you need to change your lifestyle? It may sound easy but boosting your immune system takes a lot of good work and the process may also be tricky. Furthermore, we’re talking about the whole immune system and not a single entity, just to be clear. To function perfectly, it needs to have balance and harmony with the rest of the organs inside your body.
How to Improve Immune System: Choose a Healthy Lifestyle
The first thing you can do to boost your immune system is to start having a healthy lifestyle. If you want to keep your immune system working properly, consider following good health guidelines. Protecting your body from environmental hazards and doing the following healthy living strategies are some of the things you must take note of:
- Stop smoking.
- Include high amounts of fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Watch your weight.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Sleep at least 6 – 8 hours a day.
The Power of Healthy Diet
Adding immunity boosters to your diet will help in your overall health. Though there are few studies on the effect of nutrition on the immune system, there is evidence of micronutrient deficiencies for zinc, selenium, iron, copper, folic acid, and Vitamins A, B6, C, and E. These immunity boosters are:
- Garlic: Garlic has Allicin which has the ability to boost the immune system. You can choose to eat garlic raw or roasted.
- Probiotics: Probiotics that contain fiber is essential to keep the gut bacteria healthy. Include Jerusalem artichokes, green bananas or plantains, Jicama root, and asparagus in your diet.
- Foods rich in Vitamin C: Don’t rely on juices as they contain a lot of sugar. Get a dose of Vitamin C from fruits like oranges, broccoli, kiwi, or cantaloupe.
- Antioxidants: Do you know that stress can lower your immunity? To have a stronger immune system, including colorful fruits and vegetables in your meal. Examples are berries, carrots, and spinach.
The Role of Exercise
Regular exercise can do a lot of good things for your body. Aside from improving your cardiovascular health and lowering blood pressure, it can help control your body weight and protect you from diseases. Thirty to sixty minutes of exercise a day can help your body function at its best and contributes to a healthy immune system.
Building Defense Against COVID-19
Having a strong immune system, while you’re healthy is important, especially during this time of the pandemic. Moreover, strong immune health can help in fighting other viruses caused by cold and flu. Since having a strong immune system is not a prevention against the COVID-19 virus, it is still important to continue practicing good hand hygiene, social distancing, and cough etiquette.
Don’t miss any of our informative health articles — subscribe to our newsletter now! Follow Top Medical Magazine on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn to stay updated, too!
- How to boost your immune system (Link)
- Strengthen Your Immune System With 4 Simple Strategies (Link)
- Want a defense against COVID-19? Strengthen your immune system. (Link)